Dorothy’s Dementia #3 final doctor visit

I took mom to the surgeon yesterday for her final follow up to the hip surgery.  When I went to pick her up – she was in the “great room” with everyone else- having a blast.  There was a guitar playing comedian entertaining them and the entire crowd were all full of smiles.

I waited until he was finished and afterhe had walked the entire room shaking everyone’s hand. What a great guy!   I walked up to Dorothy and told her why I was there and asked her where her walker was.  She said- she had no idea.   AAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!    So, I went on the hunt for it.  I even got her key and looked in her room.  It was like a game of hide and seek.  The walker was found- the entertainer had put his things on top of it and it was camouflaged.    We were happy to find and we headed out the door.

We stopped and had Homey Basked Ham for lunch and we had a good visit- mom did not sing her song.  We continued on to the appointment and we were a few minutes early- and them we waited out in the waiting room for 20 minutes.  Then they put us in a room and shut the door and forgot about us (probably not, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt).  I cannot tell you how many times she asked where are we? Or, why are we here? 

We waited and waited- 20 more minutes went by with mom asking the same questions- soon she began getting agitated- so I opened up the door to calm her down.  Patients who checked in after us where being released- and I was just a tad upset.  We sat there another 10 minutes before the X-ray technician stuck her head in and said- “I’ll be right in”.   Well- she took two more folks back and forth (10 more minutes) before she came in to get 


Five minutes later she was back in the room- not knowing where she was or why she was there.  And about two minutes later the doctor walked in.  He looked at the x-rays and said-“yep, everything looks good”.  (my question is “how would it look”?  It’s a rod in her femur and pins in her hip- where would they possibly go?)   

 By this time, I was a little frustrated of it being over an hour since we had walked in and she is finally getting some attention.    The doctor is asking herdirect questions- she does not know the answers to them – She is demented!!!!!!   She answers them the way she thinks he wants to hear them.   I final speak up and tell him what she has been telling me and what I have observed- yes, with a smile on my face.   He nods and says 

“everything looks good and to keep on doing your Physical and Occupational Therapy and in a few months, you should be back to normal”. Normal?    SHE will never be back to normal!  AAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!

Not once did anyone take her blood pressure, her temperature or look at her scars or see if there was any swelling with her leg.   I don’t get it.  But, I don’t go to the doctor ( except for once a year for a check up) – thank you God for helping me stay healthy. And Mom doesn’t have to go to the doctor at all- so I’m out of my element in this arena as to what to expected when going to the doctor.   Maybe they don’t do the things they used to do 15 years ago.  But, I remain calm.  Breathe in Breathe out. (-:

Mom is good, happy and seems to be doing just fine.  I am good, happy and doing just fine.   At this point- that’s all that matters.

Love and Light!

Cheryl Doreen

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s